Saturday, July 25, 2009

Penfolds 2004 Grange


I waited until all the hype about the 04 Grange had died down before doing a re-taste and I still think this is one of the most impressive current-release Australian wines I've ever seen. It's pretty close to being the whole package with tremendous flavour and structure, wonderful mouthfeel offering a range of flavours (from dark fruit to spice to integrated oak). Totally satisfying. I don't usually give scores - but I give this one 99/100. Simply superb - if you can afford it. $550.

1 comment:

Chris Plummer said...

I totally agree - what a wine!

I had a glass of the 04 Grange at Magill Estate the day it was released. It took me an hour to drive home (peak hour traffic) but I could still feel its lasting impression deeply imprinted in my mouth when I walked through my front door.

Not many Australian wines you could say that about!